PatrickMead

Saturday, December 16, 2006

A New Toy


I finally found a replacement for one of the two guitars stolen from my office a couple of months ago. After spending a lot of time in nearly 20 guitar shops in two states, I came upon this Tacoma concert style dreadnought in Limelight Music less than three miles from my office. I played perhaps a hundred guitars with costs up to $3900 as I went from place to place, but the warm sound of this guitar won me over.

I have always eschewed guitars with mahogany sides and backs as inferior to those with rosewood. Rosewood always produced such sweet highs and haunting lows... but this guitar matched the best rosewood backed guitars I could find... and for a tenth of the cost of the high end guitars. I had to check the price a few times before I believed it.

Tacoma doesn't build these anymore. The people at the shop were glad to get rid of it and I was glad to find it. It needed a home. This guitar was made back when all Tacoma guitars were handmade in a shop in the US. Handcrafted and set up by masters, they couldn't compete with cheaper guitars so Fender bought them out. The Tacoma name is still being put on guitars, but they are semi-hollow body guitars and not the same as this old masterpiece.

I brought it home last night and played it until my fingers hurt. It's been a long time since a guitar made me want to do that!

Tomorrow or the next day... a report on the birthday celebrations and a wonderful outreach planned tomorrow in memory of Professor Jack down in Detroit.

5 Comments:

  • At 12/16/2006 04:05:00 PM , Blogger Stoogelover said...

    Sweet! I've played a couple of Tacomas in the past ... nice guitar. Give your fingers a rest. I picked up a Martin last year and played till my fingers hurt. Then after almost a month, I noticed every time I played that guitar my fingers hurt, so the only Martin I've ever purchased was returned. It wasn't nearly as sweet as the old Alvarez Yairi D - 78, though.

     
  • At 12/17/2006 02:27:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

    PM, bring that baby down to Arkansas and play me some good ole JT on it! CONGRATS! I can pick a few chords, but for sure nothing like you.

    God bless,
    DU

     
  • At 12/17/2006 06:59:00 PM , Blogger cwinwc said...

    I hope my 16 year old son doesn't read this post. He is dying for a new guitar. Looks like you got a good one.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 06:11:00 AM , Blogger dutro said...

    Guitars are so individual (especially the action) that name brand is not always indicator of the best one out there. One of my favorites of all I've owned was a Yamaki (never heard of it? thought so. neither had I) I now have a couple of really high end dreadnoughts, and both are nice, but neither one is any better than that $149 guitar. Sorry yours got stolen. that stinks.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 06:12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Continuing to read your posts is making my mind lure me away to my Alvarez which I have not played in 8 or 9 months. Your words and causing me to pick it up again.

    I love the sound and enjoy the time in quiet acoustic-dome.

    God Bless

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home